top of page

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about T2202

Students could receive a tax credit for tuition fees, education and textbook costs, provided they have a completed Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate (T2202).

You can use these certificates when filing your taxes to receive a tax credit for course fees you have paid. Please note that the tax certificate is issued to the enrolled person (the person who actually took the course, not the person that paid).

Generally, T2202 forms are issued to students who have paid $100.00 or more in eligible fees for courses beginning and ending in a particular year (January to December).


Why are you providing the T2202 by email ?

T2202 forms are send to the email student provided for your enrollment, it also avoids delays caused by returned mailings due to address changes the students may have failed to notify to AESP about.

Why doesn’t my T2202 match the amount I paid for my program or course?

Tax receipt issued will cover studies taken from January to December 2022. You will receive a tax form next year if your course carries over into the following year.

How is the tuition calculated for a course that crosses two tax years?

The tuition amounts eligible for a course that crosses two tax years are divided by a percentage equal to the contact months achieved in each year.

I received my T2202 form but the address on it is incorrect. Do I need a new one?

You may submit the T2202 as received even if the address is incorrect. Although it is not necessary for you to attach the T2202 form when you file your tax return, you should be able to produce one when requested by Revenue Canada.

My parents need my T2202 form. Will you send it directly to them for me?

As per Income Tax Act, students must use the Tuition and Education Credit Certificate (T2202) on their own tax return until both the Federal and Provincial Tax payable is reduced to zero, after which the student may then transfer the balance of the credit to another eligible party using the reverse side of the T2202 form. This will require the student’s signature.

If I add the tuition for my AESP course together with a course from another school, I would meet the $100 minimum. Why won’t you give me a T2202?

As per Income Tax Act, students may not combine receipts from other institutions in order to meet the minimum eligible fee.

What if I have questions about filing my income tax return or understanding what I can deduct for tax purposes?

Please refer your questions to the Canada Revenue Agency by telephone at 1-800-959-8281

I am an international student. Do I need a T2202?

Please refer to the Government of Canada website for more information on income taxes for International Students.

What if I have questions about the tuition or education months on my T2202?

Questions regarding the previous year of your T2202 should be directed by email to AESP account department

Please note that AESP staff and instructors do not have access to the T2202 files, please contact the account department if you have any questions. 

Account Department :

bottom of page